With silver, rose gold and yellow gold jewellery all having a sparkly moment, how do you decide which metal looks best on you?
Take our WARM and COOL skin tone test below. Metal suggestions and colour recommendations come easily once you’ve determined your skin tone. This will make jewellery shopping easier for you and jewellery gifting more successful too.
You have a WARM SKIN TONE if:
- your wrist veins look green (look in natural light)
- you tan easily
- your hair colour is more likely brown or black
- you notice yellow or golden-apricot undertones in your skin when you hold a white piece of paper next to your face.
- off-white, ivory and cream look better on you than pure white.
Complimentary gemstone and colour suggestions include earth tones like yellow, peach and green. Yellow stones include yellow sapphire, citrine and zircon. Peach stones include moonstone and green stones include emerald, jade and peridot. Neutrals that are best for you include taupe, cappuccino, cream, and mushroom gray.
You have a COOL SKIN TONE if:
- your wrist veins look blue/purple (look in natural light)
- you burn easily and your skin shows signs of redness
- your hair colour is more likely to be red, blonde or strawberry blonde
- you notice blue undertones in your skin when you hold a white piece of paper next to your face.
- you look better in crisp pure white, rather than cream.
The metals that best compliment COOL SKIN TONE include light or white metals such as silver, white gold and platinum.
Complimentary gemstone and colour suggestions include red, purple and blue. Red gemstones like Carnelian, purple stones like amethyst and fluorite and blue stones like sapphire, topaz and aquamarine. Bright blues, emeralds, and deep purples will look great, along with frosty shades of lavender, ice blue, or pink. With neutrals, you can rock cool gray, bright white, and navy. Try to avoid orange, tomato red, and strong yellows, which can clash with your skin.
Still not sure what your skin tone is?
If you have a mixture of the above traits you could be neutral skin-toned…lucky you! You look good in all metals, so wear whatever feels best. As a neutral, you can wear anything on the colour wheel – but it’s typically best to go for a softened or muted version of a colour instead of brighter ones. Choose colours like dusty pink, jade green or lagoon blue. For neutral colours, turn to off-whites, coffee, mid-range grays and black.
THE BOTTOM LINE
Most people fall somewhere between warm and cool giving you the ability to bend the rules to your liking. The skin tone rule is really just a guideline; your personality and style are just as important to consider. If you feel happy and healthy in a colour that’s considered to be outside of your skin tone, buck the rules and go for it!
Visit our Yellow Gold, Rose Gold and Sterling Silver Collections to find a bespoke jewellery memento in your metal of choice. Add a personalized pendant or charm so your necklace or bracelet allows you to wear the moments you've crafted.